Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Acquaintances, Friends, Best Friends, Family and Almost Family

When Kolby died I think every person questioned how I was related to him.  See Kolby was not just my little cousin, to him I was his Aunt and he was my Nephew.  Most kids call me Aunt Kate whether we are related or not and I love it.

In life there are Acquaintances (I have lots of), Friends (I have few of), Best Friends (I have 2), Family (Sometimes I wish I had less, but in the end we are blood and love each other) and Almost Family (there are a couple out there).
… Acquaintances are just people you know, you say hi in the grocery store and know a little about their personal lives.
  Friends are people you have a good time with, you usually stop and talk to them in the grocery store, your kids know each other and play well and you probably have their number stored in your phone. 
  Best Friends go with you to the grocery store and talk about everyone there, you have their number on speed dial and your kids are as close as siblings and have probably given each other a black eye at some point.  Angela and Steph have really helped me to become a better person.  Angela is the layed back one, Steph is the innocent one and I am definitely the high maintance one.  All together we work.
  Family, well that one is self-explanatory.  You never love all of them at the same time and you never hate them all either.  In fact there is a fine line between love and despise at any given moment.  With the blink (or roll) of an eye you can go from a perfect day to utter chaos.  Or have a tragedy that unites us all, if even for a moment.
… Almost Family is I guess is people like Chastity.  People always ask me how I am related to her and the simple truth is there is no blood between us.  I love her like a sister and don’t honestly know if anyone can understand that.  When I tell them we are not related they say ooww, as if because there is no blood my love for her is any less and I can guarantee you it’s not.  There are bonds that are unbreakable, at times very thin, but still there hanging on by a string.

I don’t consider myself to have many friends; I think people use the word “friend” way too much to describe people who are more like acquaintances.  I often catch myself calling someone a friend when the truth is I know nothing about them and they really don’t know that much about me.  I guess my point is, that if I consider you a friend you are important to me not just and acquaintances… a real friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment